Sunday, October 5, 2008

wait- our economy is important?

This week’s reading on the Bretton Woods system introduced me to a lot of new ideas in financial sector that I had never encountered before, and to tell the truth, had never cared about before. Even though I wasn’t particularly interested to begin with, I decided that I must slog through it, and to my surprise, I was actually really interested. However, terms such as pegged-rate and internal liquidity made absolutely no sense to me, even after reading the Wikipedia definitions. But hey, this is coming from the person who barely understands how the stock market works and has no grasp of the concept of buying and selling debt. It almost seems like there should be a whole separated class dedicated to this… Oh, wait, econ!

What really surprised me is that I actually have an interest in taking an economics class and learning about the stock market and how abstract (to me) ideas such as the stock market actually affect us in every day life. Until next semester, though, I will be stuck reading tons of articles on Wikipedia. So if anyone ever has one of those nights when they can’t sleep and feel like giving an in-depth explanation of the stock market… well you know where my room is.

No comments: