Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Paranoia

No country, or person, can ever be fully secured against every possible threat. It is simply not possible to be 100% sure a country won’t be attacked; there are too many potential threats, especially considering that everything has the potential to eventually become a security threat. Even if external military forces were somehow eliminated, cultural or other interior forces could still threaten to tear a nation apart. However, nations can mostly secure themselves by focusing exclusively on issues that they are able to address that pose a definite threat.

Every day when I step outside of the dorm, I can’t guarantee that I won’t slip on some ice, fall, and break my neck. However, considering its late October, I think it’s safe to assume I don’t really have to worry about it. Later in the year, when conditions are better for the formation of the threatening ice, I’ll focus more of my attention on where I’m stepping when walking outside. This very basic example of personal security is easily expanded to a national level. Though everything is a potential threat, it does not make sense to try to protect against every possible thing, all at once. A state must protect itself only from that which is an immediate threat, or concentrate on circumstances in which security threats could easily develop. As I mentioned in class, it has to be looked at as a security triage.

1 comment:

Ziggy said...

I really like how you explained your argument, comparing it to how no one can ever be entirely certain whether or not they will be safe from the silly personal security threats such as falling on the ice. It's funny to me, because you can really get stuck in a hole if you think about it too much... because it's so true... life can be taken away at any given moment and, if we are being honest with each other, there is little we can do to 100% prevent that. Security is almost just an allusions... a mirage.