Friday, October 3, 2008

I'm Mrs. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous

Unfortunately when I think back on this week’s class what I recall most clearly are the lyrics to “Piece of Me.” Agh.
Since we get a bit of discretion in our post this week, I want to talk about the Emma Maersk. Beautiful, isn’t she? When I first saw photos I thought it was fake. It still blows my mind to see such technology and human ingenuity come to life. I’m one of those people that always wonders, whenever I drive by a skyscraper or a plane flies by, what the Founding Fathers would think of today’s technology. Humans are truly remarkable creatures. But I digress. The largest container ship ever built, the Emma Maersk can cross the Pacific in just four days. Made in Denmark, 1302 x 207 feet, 13 crew members, andcost over $145,000,000.
It largely operates from China to Europe/the US, and made headlines last Christmas when it imported tons (literally) of goods to the UK and was in turn loaded up with waste to be taken back to China for recycling. Every time she docks in the US she returns with no US manufactured goods.
This is really unfortunate, but what can we do? Society has shaped Americans into believing it is almost a failure to pick up a trade. We're told that we all need to go to college, nobody wants a manufacturing job. As solid a career and important a foundation as they are (were?) for this country, it is unheard of nowadays to aspire to work in a plant.
Of course, as much as I think this is sad and can sit here lamenting it, there’s no way I’d give up my shot at college. So who am I to talk, besides it's all just opinion as we've discussed this week. Though highly unlikely, maybe the US will do fine without its manufacturing sector. These are just a few thoughts that flit through my mind when I hear stories like that of the Emma Maersk. And it just might connect nicely to our simulation projects...

2 comments:

Seamus McGregor said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seamus McGregor said...

First of all, Piece of Me is a good song and Britney is very talented.
Second, I agree with what you said about learning a trade. At my high school, nearly every student went to college, and those who didn't were frowned upon for "not living up to their potential". I chose to attend college, but I personally feel like other career paths; whether it be in manufacturing or law enforcement, are honorable professions. The simple fact is that these skills/trades can be taught to people in developing nations, so factory jobs in the US are quickly disappearing. Job security is key, and I personally feel that unless people learn service-based trades (being an electrician for example) they will have difficulty finding work.