Sunday, November 16, 2008

speaking of ir theory...





I found this comic courtesy of stumbleupon, the greatest tool of procrastination ever created. If anyone wants to write a virus for my blog comments...

On another note, this week I was pretty excited because I started researching my college writing essay. You may ask, “Excited for homework? Excited for a 12 page essay in college writing?”

Ok, so maybe excited isn’t exactly the right word. But it did interest me because the research I’m doing apparently ties right in with IR theory. For our final research paper, I decided to write about the effects of globalization on religion and the way that religion can influence globalization. As soon as I googled it, a ton of stuff relating to IR and religion popped up on the screen. It was really neat to me because I could apply things that I learned in our class to my college writing paper, which is an experience I never had in high school.

It also tied right in with our conversation with Krista Tippet, which I thought was a great experience. I grew up with a jewish mother and a christian father, and because of that my own personal faith is still something that I am exploring. However, it is something that can be hard to talk about, even though I don't have a clear stance or strong feelings one way or the other. I love learning about religions, but I'm usually afraid that I will offend someone by asking them about their own beliefs. Thats why I thought that it would be a neat idea to create a forum for discussion within our UC. I'm excited for Alex's pasta and I hope everyone comes!

No comments: