Saturday, November 15, 2008

"How Many Poor People Could $75million of H8 Have Helped?"

From blog warfare to protests to poverty, there’s been a lot of tension in the air lately. I'm going to steal a page from Maggy's book: everybody take a deep breath, read these, and don’t take yourselves too seriously.

The Prop 8 protest was great (Adam gets into the details more in his post). It was really encouraging how many people turned out, but at the same time melancholy and disturbing that this measure literally took rights away from thousands of people.

Krista Tippet was… meh. I don’t know. She seems like a sweet woman who wants to do good and all that, but I didn’t really see a point in much of her talk. She was consistently walking on eggshells. Michele brought up her point on not judging a religion by its negative traits and how that relates to racism. Yes, religion will always be a part of public discourse and we should all be civil and get along as best we can. But is that really anything profound? I appreciate religion and often find it beautiful; I would go so far as to say I would be religious if it wasn’t for the fact that I find 99.9% of its validity highly questionable. Faith is something that I don’t buy, but at the same time religion is so personal, it’s not my place to pester others about reason and facts. That, and I’m really excited for Alex’s spaghetti tomorrow! :)

4 comments:

Amanda said...

haha i love that website!

Catherine in DC said...

Major snaps for using Stuff White People Like. As we all know, you are white, and therefore it is hugely relevant. Anyway. I kinda agree about Tippet. She's obviously intelligent, had a ton of experience, talked to amazing people, but certainly didn't say anything profound or life-shaking. Really, didn't say anything that controversial at all.

Cocoa Fanatic said...

I agree with you guys that she didn't say anything profound, but at the same time that is not her job. She is a journalist not a theologian or an academic. Her job is to question and not to answer questions, though I thought she did a fair job of our questions on Wednesday.

Mnadler said...

Silencedogood: If she isn't going to say anything profound, what's the point of having her here? I don't think that she did as good a job answering our questions as I would have liked, given how she ended up not answering several questions at all.

You're right, she is a journalist, and that was best seen in her skill in squirming her way out of topics she was unwilling or unable to converse intelligently on.