Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I want to live like common people...

Just as I began to write this post my Zune (iPods are yesterday's news, Phil knows what's up) put on a fantastic song by the fantastic band Pulp, called Common People. It is coincidentally about poverty, and has a fun little video too. Anyway, full employment. A crucial part of a nation’s wealth, but I wouldn’t say it’s an absolute way of measuring it. It’s the law of diminishing marginal returns (thank you, macroecon): as employees increase, eventually additional employees will produce less than previous ones. Too many workers will mean less productivity and profit. Adam mentioned something like this in his post, “Why employ thousands of people with shovels to build a road when a few people with modern machinery can do the same job?”
Catherine beat me to the Maslow’s Hierarchy case, but I think we might reference it in different ways. Yes, a job can provide for physiological needs, but not every job can help one achieve the levels of esteem and self-actualization. A job in the service industry isn’t going to be an outlet for man’s reason and creative skills, which all add up to certain definitions of wealth (emotionally, as well as materially, content).
Thus, on a national scale full employment does not equal wealth, and on an individual scale having a job does not equal wealth either. But it doesn't hurt. Most of the time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow don't you sound so sure of your self. Tell me this, what is a good plan for social sercurity ? Is there any logical way to walk peacefully away from Iraq ?

Jasmine said...

Haha who is this, my evil twin? I guess you didn't hear that I know everything there is to know about politics. :) Come on, don't cop a 'tude with me here.

But your (ironic?) questions:
Social security: ideally, abolish it. Phasing it out would be nice, though I know it'll never happen. Especially not with the next presidency.

Iraq: Peacefully? Iraq needs to start taking accountability for their own government. We should gradually start bringing troops home. Obviously the situation is more complex than I can respond to in a comment.

Cocoa Fanatic said...

I think your right in getting at employment as a complement to wealth(of most kinds), but not as a standard to measure wealth.