Monday, November 10, 2008

Election Night

Election night here was incredible, and represented the reason that tipped the scales concerning my decision over coming here. I could have gone to the University of Denver, it has a renowned International Relations program. I could have been a stone’s throw from home, in a city I am more or less familiar with, in a state where I have spent nearly all of my life. It still would have been a nice change from my suburban upbringing, to get into the city. But here, the city is alive. It is an entity entirely of itself, living and breathing with political fervor. As the electoral results came in, I watched in anticipation, probably as I would have in Denver. But when it was announced on CNN around 11 that Barack Obama had won the presidency, the whole campus erupted. Going down to the White House and seeing our beautiful city lit up like Christmas and celebrating in the streets was possibly the most awesome thing I have seen since coming here (despite randomly getting punched in the face). It is, really, the reason why I’m here.

Though I have been occasionally disappointed with my country, I have always been proud to live in the greatest country in the world. The past four years I’ve been rather disheartened with the image our current president and his policies has cast for us abroad, but I have never denied that he is, in fact, my president. More than half of the country agreed with the case he made for his election, just as more than half of the country recently decided to elect Barack Obama into the White House. Now if only I had a blue Lambo…


On a completely unrelated note, I still need some content for our website, www.BetaRhoOmicron.com. So if you all have any ideas or suggestions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Yes, I am so happy that I live in a democratic country that is given the opportunity every 4 years to make amends for its mistakes. We are finally headed in the right direction, and I am so proud to be part of the country that just elected Barack Obama as our next president!

I agree with what you say about respecting our president. Whether or not you personally agree with his policies, he is the person who we chose to represent our country and he deserves to be recognized as that person. I don't understand how a person who loves our country can deny the legitimacy of his presidency. What is even worse is that people can joke about him getting assassinated... Wish you were here. Just remember - he's not our President until Jan. - who knows what will happen between now and then.... direct quote taken from an L7er

Ziggy said...

I couldn't agree with you more. Election night validated every reason for me coming to this school. Going to the white house after celebrating at with our school was an experience that will remain as one of the best nights of my life. While chanting outside the white house I felt as thought I was living in the moment, at the exact place I was supposed to be. I am so proud of our nation and can now say that I am proud of our president. Times are about to change and we are in the ideal location to watch those changes happen.