Sunday, September 28, 2008

Aliens and World Politics?

I really liked the discussion topic for last Friday. There are a lot of times in class where a topic, such as the state of plumbing in the Middle East, is brought up and I don’t feel like I know enough about it to contribute much to the discussion. Since the topic of aliens is almost completely hypothetical I felt like we were all on even ground. That being said, I didn’t feel like our discussion was particularly productive. We spent a lot of time fleshing out our own hypotheticals without relating them to world politics.

It seemed like the biggest disagreement was on whether or not the aliens would arrive with peaceful intentions. At first I was kind of frustrated that we were spending so much time on the topic, but then I thought that maybe this was the point that Professor Jackson was trying to make. Many times the intentions of a state or a leader are unclear and the smallest mistakes can become huge issues as a result. Ok, well I think that’s it for now. Oh, and kudos to Luke for being an amazing discussion leader!

No comments: